Science Scriptwriting & Onscreen Media Appearances
Upon completion of this comprehensive and engaging course, you will be able to:
- Write the 3 core parts of an effective script for use in onscreen media appearances
- Customize your script to appeal to different primary audiences
- List the 5 most effective scriptwriting methods to “hook” your audience
- Divide your script content into viral “soundbites”
- Discuss the latest linguistic research on how to maximize audience comprehension of the content you present
Devin Reese, PhD is an internationally acclaimed science writer and ecologist whose research has been published in leading peer-reviewed journals including the Journal of Herpetology and the Journal of Wildlife Management. After graduating from Harvard University with her Bachelor’s in Ethology and her PhD in Integrative Biology from U.C. Berkeley, she served as a Science and Diplomacy Fellow at the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Dr. Reese spent five years developing instructional materials for the Smithsonian’s Science Education Center, followed by seven years as the lead content writer for the Smithsonian’s Q?rius Center at the National Museum of Natural History. Her work with the award-winning Smithsonian Science How Team resulted in team accolades from the American Alliance of Museums, the National Museum of Natural History, and EdTech Digest. Since this time, her extensive background in science communication and work with organizations throughout Latin America, South Asia, and Southern Africa has resulted in positions as a scriptwriter for PBS as well as an editor for the World Wildlife Fund.